Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Wow!

Wow!  That is all I can say at this point in my Journey.  I did not expect to be so encouraged so soon in this project.  So, to my 2 faithful followers, here is my first post on the readings thus far.

Last week I ironically stated one of my biggest struggles in life -- that some (if not most) people seem to think they are experts in something -- and therefore everything.  My problem is that the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know.  I have only read half of Plato's Apology and Sacrates had me laughing and almost brought me to tears!  Thank you!!

Sacrates, on his quest to prove "God" wrong in that God told others that "Sacrates was the wisest man on earth", discovered and solved the problem that I just described.  He checked the "wisest" politicians and concluded that: "Well, although I do not suppose that either of us is [wise] -- I am better off than he is, for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows; I neither know nor think that I know.   ... then, I seem to have slightly the advantage of him."  Thank you Sacrates!

Next he tested the poets and artisans and found similar results.  " -- because they were good workmen they thought that they also knew all sorts of high matters.  ...I asked myself on behalf of the oracle, whether I would like to be as I was, neither having their knowledge nor their ignorance, or like them in both; and I made answer to myself ... that I was better off as I was."  Thank you Sacrates!

Sacrates came to the correct conclusion, similar to Solomon in the Bible (the wisest man in the Bible, who asked God for wisdom ahead of anything else he could imagine):  "that God only is wise;  and by his answer [that Sacrates is the wisest man] he intends to show that the wisdom of men is worth little or nothing; he is not speaking of Socrates, he is only using my name by way of illustration, as if he said, 'He, O men, is the wisest, who, like Socrates, knows that his wisdom is in truth worth nothing.'"

I can't help but think of George Carlin- an actor (poet/artisan?) who thinks he is an expert in political affairs.  I only pick on him because he met "Soo Crates" when he acted in the movie "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure".  (I thought Sean Penn played in that movie, but I was mistaken -- but it would have made a better example!)  Enough said.  (Maybe, along this journey, I'll find a difference with other "actors" like Ronald Reagan?)

Let's continue on to my second surprise of this book.

Sacrates is being accused of being an atheist and for corrupting the youth.  He denies both.  Here is a fascinating quote -- I think especially for a student of Jesus' teachings: "For this is the command of God, as I would have you know; ... For I do nothing but go about persuading you all, old and young alike, not to take thought for your persons and your properties, but first and chiefly to care about the greatest improvement of the soul. I tell you that virtue is not given by money, but that from virtue come money and every other good of man, public as well as private. This is my teaching, and if this is the doctrine which corrupts the youth, my influence is ruinous indeed."

Sound familiar?  Here's Matthew 6:33: "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

I am wondering who this "G"od is that Socrates refers to?  Could it be Jehovah?  Did he know of the Jews?  He lived around 450BC.  Did Jesus know of Sacrates? 

See!  More questions!  Eaaaxcellent Dude!

2 comments:

  1. The "god" he is addressing is the Greek god Apollo, if I remember correctly. It is possible he had contact with Jews, and it is also possible that Jesus knew about Socrates, though I doubt he studied him. Paul was far more likely to have the up-to-date philosophical knowledge as the educated Roman citizen.

    Great job so far! I wish I could go back and read it again with you! I probably will someday... Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We have been taught that Christ is the first-born of God, and we have declared above that He is the Word of whom every race of men were partakers; and those who lived reasonably are Christians, even though they have been thought atheists; as, among the Greeks, Socrates and Heraclitus, and men like them; and among the barbarians, Abraham, and Ananias, and Azarias, and Misael, and Elias, and many others [...] So that even they who lived before Christ, and lived without reason, were wicked and hostile to Christ" Justin Martyr

    ReplyDelete